Our Blogs

New Pilot Programs Launched for Caregivers to Obtain Permanent Residency in Canada

icon missing

June 20, 2019

icon missing


New pilot programs launched for Caregivers to obtain permanent residency in Canada

The Government of Canada has paid substantial attention to the vulnerabilities of the caregivers working in Canada without finding any pathway to obtain permanent residence.

Interim Caregivers Program-Extended

The short-term interim pathway that began accepting applications in the month of March 4, 2019 until June 4, 2019, will re-open again for 3 months on July 8, 2019. This program requires:

  • Minimum language requirements of CLB 5 in English or French; and
  • work experience of 12 months in Canada in the relevant NOC code
  • Minimum education of high school diploma in Canada or ECA for foreign diploma, certificate or credential

 New Programs effective from July 18, 2019

There are two new programs that began accepting applications on June 18, 2019, which replaced the existing Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pilots.

The new programs are Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots, applying under which will provide a work permit to the caregivers. This is a 5-year pilot program with a goal to grant permanent residence to the qualifying candidates and their family members.

The caregivers must have a job offer in Canada and satisfy the minimum requirements of the program.

Qualifying Work Experience

  1. If you have 2 years of work experience: The 2 years of qualifying experience as a home care provider and home support worker, which falls under NOC 4411 and NOC 4412, respectively, will be eligible to apply for the permanent residency directly under one of these pilots.
  2. If you do not have any work experience: The pilot program provides an opportunity to submit an application for a work permit together with the application for permanent residence, if all other requirements are met. Once the applicant meets the work permit requirements, an occupation-specific open work permit is issued that will allow the caregiver to work any employer, as opposed to working for one employer, that was the case in the past. The applicant can gain 24 months of qualifying work experience to obtain permanent residence in Canada.
  3. If you have less than 24 months of experience: The pilot allows the applicant to apply under either of the two pilots, as long as the other eligibility requirements are met. The applicant can apply for a work permit along with the application to obtain permanent residence. Once the work experience is enough to qualify and proof of experience is sent, the application will be considered.

Non- qualifying work experience

  • Experience as a foster parent does not count, when counting experience under NOC 4411
  • Experience as a housekeeper does not count, when counting experience under NOC 4412

To help you navigate the entire process, our team has the resources and skills to assist. To know more about your eligibility under different categories, Consult with our Senior Practitioner as we would be able to assess your profile and advise you in the right track. You can call (1) 905-362-9393 (Canada), +91 9586 226232 (Ahmedabad) or drop an E-mail at support@spscanada.com (Canada), support.amd@spscanada.com (Ahmedabad) for further information.


Get Legal Answers to Your Visa Questions

Call Us now at +91 9586 226232

View All Testimonials

Our Clients

We're Trusted Globally

We are a regulated immigration practicing firm, providing advice and
solutions on matters related to Canadian immigration.

Ankit Vadaliy

Abhinav Arnold

Kevin Balar

Kushagra Soni

Navin Davis

Pooja Patni

Nidhika Verma


Pragya Munjal


Fairy Christian

Jay B Parmar

Harsh Pujara

Jenies Christian

Sara Costa

Shahoon Akhtar

Adarsh Reddy

View All Testimonials