Temporary Residence

Temporary Residence

A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally authorized to enter Canada for temporary purposes.

A foreign national has temporary resident status when they have been found to meet the requirements of the legislation to enter and/or remain in Canada as a visitor, student, worker or temporary resident permit holder. Only foreign nationals physically in Canada hold temporary resident status.


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada processes these applications under several categories:

  • – Temporary resident visas
  • – Electronic travel authorizations
  • – International students
  • – Temporary Workers
  • – Temporary resident permits


Note: Temporary residents are subject to various conditions, such as the length of their stay in Canada  

To obtain temporary status in one of these categories it is usually necessary for foreign nationals to make an application for the appropriate visa to the Canadian visa office serving the country where they reside. Canadian visa offices are usually housed in Canadian embassies and consulates in countries outside Canada. There are three main types of temporary residents:


  • VISITOR VISAS: Those foreign nationals who wish to enter Canada in order to visit temporarily may apply for a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV). This will allow them to remain in Canada for up to six months, but they cannot work under this status and the right to study is curtailed to programs of 6 months or less. Read More…


  • STUDENT VISAS: Foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada for extended periods may apply for a study permit. If granted, the study permit will be valid for the duration of the period of study, generally up to four years. Full time students have the right to work part time during their studies. Read More…


  • WORK PERMITS: Those foreign nationals who wish to work full time in Canada will need to obtain a work permit. The duration of a work permit will be tied to the length of the contract offered by the Canadian employer, usually one or two years. Read More…
  • Temporary residence visas may be extended or in some cases changed to another type of visa from within Canada.
  • A person may apply to extend their status as a temporary resident in Canada beyond the initial period granted for their stay by the officer at the port of entry. This includes accompanying family members, regardless of whether the principal applicant will be extending their status in Canada. It will be up to the officer to make the final decision after reviewing the circumstances.

Get Legal Answers to Your Visa Questions

Call Us now at +91 9586 226232

View All Testimonials

Ankit Vadaliy

Abhinav Arnold

Kevin Balar

Kushagra Soni

Navin Davis

Pooja Patni

Nidhika Verma


Pragya Munjal


Fairy Christian

Jay B Parmar

Harsh Pujara

Jenies Christian

Sara Costa

Shahoon Akhtar


Adarsh Reddy

View All Testimonials