Our Blogs

BC and Alberta Now Giving PAL for International Students!

icon missing

March 5, 2024

icon missing

Ishita Soni

BC and Alberta introduces new Province!

British Columbia Introduces Provincial Attestation Letters for International Student Applications

What is a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)?

Moving forward, provinces and territories will be issuing Provincial Attestation Letters (PAL) to some of the international students. The attestation letter serves as a proof that the student has been accounted for under a provincial or territorial allocation within the national cap.

According to eligibility of the concerned province/s if the PAL is required then it must be included within your study permit application when you submit your application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Why are PALs recently in spotlight?

The Canadian government has made a rule on January 22, 2024, saying people applying to study in Canada should include a PAL, although there are a few exceptions. Since March 4, 2024  Canada’s B.C. province has been giving special letters (PALs) to certain colleges and universities which would help new international students to apply for the permission to study there. Alberta is doing this too, and the good news is that schools are handling the process for international students.

How many PALs will B.C. issue in 2024?

British Columbia can accommodate 83000 undergraduate study permit applicants per year but last year in 2023, about 97,000 people had applied. The government expects to approve around 50,000 study permit applications in 2024, which is less than the 60,000 permits approved in British Columbia in 2023.

Who needs a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)?  

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), students who fall under the groups listed below do need a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL):

  • International undergraduate students whose study permit applications were received by IRCC after 8:30 a.m., ET, on Jan.  22, 2024
  • Most non-degree granting graduate programs (for example, graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, and International Professional Programs)
  • Visiting/exchange and ESL/FSL programs longer than six months
  • Anyone else who is not included in the “who does not need a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)

Provincial Attestation Letter for Study Permits | Moving2Canada

Who does not need a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)?   

According to IRCC, students who fall under the groups listed below do not need a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL):

  • All international undergraduate students who have submitted a study permit application before 8:30 a.m., ET, on Jan.  22, 2024
  • Master’s or doctoral degree students, regardless of when study permit applications were submitted.
  • Visiting/exchange students and ESL/FSL short-term programs under six months
  • In-Canada study permit and work permit holders (includes study permit holders applying for an extension)
  • In-Canada family members of study permit or work permit holders
  • Primary and secondary school students

Get in touch with SPS Canada

Receive professional advice on any of your questions regarding Canadian immigration. get in touch with us, experienced immigration consultants from SPS Canada. For additional information, contact support@spscanada.com (Canada) or support.amd@spscanada.com

(Ahmedabad), or by phone at (1) 905-362-9393 (Canada) or +919586226232 (Ahmedabad).





Get Legal Answers to Your Visa Questions

Call Us now at +91 9586 226232

View All Testimonials

Our Clients

We're Trusted Globally

We are a regulated immigration practicing firm, providing advice and
solutions on matters related to Canadian immigration.

Ankit Vadaliy

Abhinav Arnold

Kevin Balar

Kushagra Soni

Navin Davis

Pooja Patni

Nidhika Verma


Pragya Munjal


Fairy Christian

Jay B Parmar

Harsh Pujara

Jenies Christian

Sara Costa

Shahoon Akhtar

Adarsh Reddy

View All Testimonials