Our Blogs

Stay in Canada after you Graduate

icon missing

November 8, 2019

icon missing


Stay in Canada after you Graduate

International students wishing to work and stay in Canada after completing their education may consider the following options

Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

If you graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI), you could apply for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

PGWPP Facts: 

  • Validity of PGWP depends on the length of your study program.
  • If your program of study is more than 8 months but less than 2 years, you will get PGWP with the same length as your study program.
  • If the length of your study program is 2 years or more, you will get PGWP for 3 years.
  • If your passport is expiring earlier than full predetermined length of PGWP, your PGWP is only valid until your passport expires. (You have an option to apply for an extension to claim the full validity, if advised by IRCC).
  • You have 180 days to apply for PGWP after you graduate, and your Study Permit must have been valid at some point during those 180 days.
  • PGWP application can be submitted online or paper based (processing time varies, current processing time is 113 days for online and 117 days for paper-based applications).
  • Government fee for PGWP application is $255.00.

Required documents for PGWP application:

  • Graduation Letter / Confirmation of Graduation
  • Official transcripts
  • Passport
  • Valid Study Permit/Work Permit
  • Digital Photo
  • Fill out IMM5710 – Application to change conditions extended my stay or remains in Canada as a worker.

In case your Study Permit is expiring before you receive required documents, you must apply to extend your Study Permit. The Government fee for extending Study Permit is $150.00 and processing time is 60 days (online).

You have 90 days after your Study Permit’s expiration date to restore your status and apply for extension. The restoration and extension process will take 80 days (online) and cost $350.00.

Also, if your PGWP application is approved, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit. After you apply for PGWP and while your application is being processed, you can work full-time until the decision is made. If application is refused, you must stop working. If you want to travel outside Canada during that time, your current TRV (Study/Work Permit) must still be valid when you return to Canada.

Permanent Resident

There are many federal and provincial programs that international students may be qualified to apply under to obtain Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada:

Learn more about each program’s requirements here.

SPS Canada Immigration can assist with all your immigration needs including Work Permit and Permanent Resident applications. Looking for any case-specific assistance, simply Start your Assessment or Call (1) 905-362-9393 (Canada), +91 9586 226232 (Ahmedabad) or drop an E-mail at support@spscanada.com (Canada), support.amd@spscanada.com (Ahmedabad) for further information.


Get Legal Answers to Your Visa Questions

Call Us now at +91 9586 226232

View All Testimonials

Our Clients

We're Trusted Globally

We are a regulated immigration practicing firm, providing advice and
solutions on matters related to Canadian immigration.

Ankit Vadaliy

Abhinav Arnold

Kevin Balar

Kushagra Soni

Navin Davis

Pooja Patni

Nidhika Verma


Pragya Munjal


Fairy Christian

Jay B Parmar

Harsh Pujara

Jenies Christian

Sara Costa

Shahoon Akhtar


Adarsh Reddy

View All Testimonials