Our Blogs

Canadas Work permit – Top Questions Answered

icon missing

September 28, 2023

icon missing

SPS Canada

A work permit  enables a non-Canadian individual to engage in temporary employment within Canada. Understanding the various work permit choices and the associated procedures in Canada can be quite challenging. Below, you will find responses to the most commonly posed queries regarding the Canadian work permit application process.


What is the fee for processing a work permit in Canada?

The processing fee for a work permit in Canada remains consistent regardless of your industry or the specific application stream you fall under.

The cost for a work permit processing fee is $155 CAD per person, with a reduced fee of $100 CAD per person for those applying for an open work permit


What are the necessary documents and forms for applying for a work permit in Canada include:

  • A valid travel document or passport is must for work permit or Study visa
  • Submission of biometric fingerprints and a photograph
  • Proof that you meet the requirements for your intended job
  • Certificat d’Acceptation du Quebec, if applicable
  • Evidence of relationships with all spouses, children, or common-law partners
  • Completed “Application For Work Permit Made Outside of Canada” (IMM 1295) form if applying from outside Canada
  • Completed Document Checklist (IMM 5488)
  • Completed Family Information (IMM 5645) form
  • Completed Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa form. This form should be completed by the principal applicant, their spouse or common-law partner, and all dependent children older than 18. This form is necessary for foreign nationals requiring a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

Additionally, you might need to provide required documentation from your prospective employer.


Can I apply for Canadian Work-Permit without job offer letter ?

In most cases, obtaining a Canadian work permit typically requires a job offer from a Canadian employer, often supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The purpose of an LMIA is to ensure that hiring a foreign worker will not negatively impact the Canadian labor market.

However, there are exceptions to this requirement, and some foreign workers can apply for a work permit in Canada without an LMIA or a job offer.

For instance, individuals who have recently graduated from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which does not necessitate a job offer. Similarly, spouses of individuals already holding Canadian work or study permits may be eligible for a work permit without requiring a job offer.

You may be eligible for an open work permit in Canada if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • You are an international student who has graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP).
  • You are a student who is no longer able to afford the costs of your studies (destitute student).
  • You have applied for permanent residence in Canada.
  • You are a dependent family member of someone who has applied for permanent residence.
  • You are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  • You are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant in the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
  • You are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person, or a family member of one of these individuals.
  • You are under an unenforceable removal order.
  • You hold a temporary resident permit.
  • You are a young worker participating in special programs.

Can I bring my family to Canada on my work permit ?

Yes, if you are applying for a work permit in Canada and have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, you may be eligible to bring your family, including your spouse or partner and dependent children, to Canada.


Your spouse or partner may also be eligible to apply for an open work permit, which allows them to work for almost any employer in Canada. Dependent children of temporary foreign workers may also be eligible for a work permit, provided they meet certain criteria. This allows your family to accompany you and potentially work or study while you are in Canada on your work permit.


If you’re seeking assistance with the work permit application process or have questions about bringing your family to Canada, . To learn more, you can call (1) 905-362-9393 (Canada), +91 9586 226232 (Ahmedabad), or send an email to support@spscanada.com (Canada), support.amd@spscanada.com (Ahmedabad).


Get Legal Answers to Your Visa Questions

Call Us now at +91 9586 226232

View All Testimonials

Our Clients

We're Trusted Globally

We are a regulated immigration practicing firm, providing advice and
solutions on matters related to Canadian immigration.

Ankit Vadaliy

Abhinav Arnold

Kevin Balar

Kushagra Soni

Navin Davis

Pooja Patni

Nidhika Verma


Pragya Munjal


Fairy Christian

Jay B Parmar

Harsh Pujara

Jenies Christian

Sara Costa

Shahoon Akhtar


Adarsh Reddy

View All Testimonials